Saturday, October 10, 2009

Knife skills exam delayed; I'm on 15-day DL

Being on the disabled list has delayed my taking the basic knife skills practical exam at culinary school. Chef Tony said Friday that he doesn't want me to take it until I have the stitches out of my thumb. That's likely as much as two weeks, according to my doctor.

Chef said he wants me to have full mobility in my thumb because one needs both hands for cutting. Currently, the thumb is somewhat immobilized -- splinted so it won't bend and crack open the cut.

Not that it gives me any kind of advantage over my classmates, all of whom took the exam Friday. By all accounts, they did well. Chef Tony ended the class by grading each and then declaring that everyone had made vast improvement in just two weeks.

A perfect score is 50 -- 5 points for each of the 10 cuts. I heard one student say she got a 49.5, another a 49 and several 48s. It will be tough to match those when I do get the chance.

The good news is that it's not a competition. Everyone is supportive of each other, and we all want to succeed and see one another succeed.

I am looking forward to taking the exam. Let the healing begin!

(Photo credit: www.theculinarysalon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment