Monday, November 02, 2009

Of parsley stems, bay leaf, hand-made mayonnaise

What's in a sachet? Thyme, whole clove, peppercorns, bay leaf, parsley stems.

For that question on the final exam in Culinary Foundations I, I remembered all except the bay leaf. A sachet, by the way, is the above ingredients in a cheesecloth bag tied shut and put in stock to help build flavor.

For one other question, the difference between saisir and raidir, I drew a blank. The former is searing and browning in precooking; the latter is searing without browning in precooking.

Other than those, the written final exam went well, followed immediately by a quick practice session making mayonnaise by hand. Mine whipped up well (photo above), although it had a bit too much vinegar in it. I'll adjust for the final exam when I whip it again on Thursday.

One final exam down, four to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment